Two held by police after night-time weapons haul in Hoxton
- Credit: MPS
A haul of weapons including machetes and knives have been seized by police who stopped a car in Hoxton Square last night.
Officers stopped the vehicle at 11.15pm after a tip-off that the people inside were armed. They found two machetes, a lock knife and a kitchen knife when searching it.
Two men were arrested at the scene for possession of offensive weapons and are being held in custody at a north London police station.
“Those who choose to carry knives on our streets will be arrested,” Insp James Hawkins warned. “We have removed four potentially lethal weapons from circulation.”
The weapons seizure comes after phase seven of the Met’s Operation Sceptre concluded on Sunday night.
You may also want to watch:
The week-long operation was the Met’s response to habitual knife carriers and knife crime. Figures show 262 arrests and 111 knives recovered during weapon sweeps, ‘stop and search’ and tracing anyone wanted for knife offences and violent crime.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 4 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 5 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 6 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 7 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 8 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 10 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods