Two held by police after night-time weapons haul in Hoxton
- Credit: MPS
A haul of weapons including machetes and knives have been seized by police who stopped a car in Hoxton Square last night.
Officers stopped the vehicle at 11.15pm after a tip-off that the people inside were armed. They found two machetes, a lock knife and a kitchen knife when searching it.
Two men were arrested at the scene for possession of offensive weapons and are being held in custody at a north London police station.
“Those who choose to carry knives on our streets will be arrested,” Insp James Hawkins warned. “We have removed four potentially lethal weapons from circulation.”
The weapons seizure comes after phase seven of the Met’s Operation Sceptre concluded on Sunday night.
You may also want to watch:
The week-long operation was the Met’s response to habitual knife carriers and knife crime. Figures show 262 arrests and 111 knives recovered during weapon sweeps, ‘stop and search’ and tracing anyone wanted for knife offences and violent crime.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney