Two held by police after night-time weapons haul in Hoxton
- Credit: MPS
A haul of weapons including machetes and knives have been seized by police who stopped a car in Hoxton Square last night.
Officers stopped the vehicle at 11.15pm after a tip-off that the people inside were armed. They found two machetes, a lock knife and a kitchen knife when searching it.
Two men were arrested at the scene for possession of offensive weapons and are being held in custody at a north London police station.
“Those who choose to carry knives on our streets will be arrested,” Insp James Hawkins warned. “We have removed four potentially lethal weapons from circulation.”
The weapons seizure comes after phase seven of the Met’s Operation Sceptre concluded on Sunday night.
You may also want to watch:
The week-long operation was the Met’s response to habitual knife carriers and knife crime. Figures show 262 arrests and 111 knives recovered during weapon sweeps, ‘stop and search’ and tracing anyone wanted for knife offences and violent crime.
- 1 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 2 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 3 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 4 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 5 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 6 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 7 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 8 Surgery blunder sees wrong side of 75-year-old patient's thyroid removed
- 9 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 10 Britannia Leisure Centre and the changing face of Shoreditch Park