UPDATE: Police reveal body found dumped in Regents Canal, Hackney, was woman’s torso
A murder inquiry has been launched after the dismembered body of a woman was found dumped in the Regents Canal.
A murder inquiry has been launched after the dismembered body of a woman was found dumped in the Regents canal.
Police divers recovered a torso after a member of the public spotted the remains close to the lock near Broadway Market in Haggerston on Tuesday afternoon.
Police have not officially linked the grisly discovery with the disappearance of missing former EastEnders actress Gemma McCluskie, who vanished from her home in Pelter Street, off Hackney Road, Bethnal Green, six days ago, but they say it is “one line of inquiry”.
Gemma, who starred as Kerry Skinner in 30 episodes of the BBC1 soap, lived less than a mile from where the body was found.
You may also want to watch:
Police frogmen from the Met’s Marine Support Unit are due to carry out a search of the rest of the canal for more remains.
A Post Mortem examination was due to take place at Poplar Mortuary yesterday (Wednesday), and an incident room has been opened at the Homicide and Serious Crime Command in Barking.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 9 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses
Detectives appealed for witnesses, or anyone with information, to call them on 020 8345 3985, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
• A 35-year-old man has arrested in connection with the incident and was being held in custody at an east London police station as the Gazette went to press yesterday (Wednesday).