UPDATE: Police reveal body found dumped in Regents Canal, Hackney, was woman’s torso
A murder inquiry has been launched after the dismembered body of a woman was found dumped in the Regents Canal.
A murder inquiry has been launched after the dismembered body of a woman was found dumped in the Regents canal.
Police divers recovered a torso after a member of the public spotted the remains close to the lock near Broadway Market in Haggerston on Tuesday afternoon.
Police have not officially linked the grisly discovery with the disappearance of missing former EastEnders actress Gemma McCluskie, who vanished from her home in Pelter Street, off Hackney Road, Bethnal Green, six days ago, but they say it is “one line of inquiry”.
Gemma, who starred as Kerry Skinner in 30 episodes of the BBC1 soap, lived less than a mile from where the body was found.
You may also want to watch:
Police frogmen from the Met’s Marine Support Unit are due to carry out a search of the rest of the canal for more remains.
A Post Mortem examination was due to take place at Poplar Mortuary yesterday (Wednesday), and an incident room has been opened at the Homicide and Serious Crime Command in Barking.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
Detectives appealed for witnesses, or anyone with information, to call them on 020 8345 3985, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
• A 35-year-old man has arrested in connection with the incident and was being held in custody at an east London police station as the Gazette went to press yesterday (Wednesday).