Upper Clapton man who had knife ‘for fishing’ jailed for six months
- Credit: Archant
An Upper Clapton man who told police the knife in his pocket was for fishing has been jailed for six months.
Daren Weekes, 33, was stopped by police in April after officers saw him driving “carelessly” near Clapton Common.
Weekes, of Upper Clapton Road, admitted he had cannabis and a knife on him.
He told cops the lock knife was for fishing but that he didn’t have any other fishing equipment with him.
He admitted possession of an offensive weapon and possession of cannabis in April and was sentenced at Wood Green Crown Court on Friday.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Paul Ridley from Hackney CID said: “The sentence in this case clearly demonstrates that carrying a knife is not acceptable. Weekes was remanded in custody since April and is now in prison. There is no excuse for carrying a knife on the streets of London. “
Anyone with information about people carrying knives can call police on 101.
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 3 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 4 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 5 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 6 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Boiling Point: The film shot in one take inside a Hackney restaurant
- 9 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington