Upper Clapton man who had knife ‘for fishing’ jailed for six months
- Credit: Archant
An Upper Clapton man who told police the knife in his pocket was for fishing has been jailed for six months.
Daren Weekes, 33, was stopped by police in April after officers saw him driving “carelessly” near Clapton Common.
Weekes, of Upper Clapton Road, admitted he had cannabis and a knife on him.
He told cops the lock knife was for fishing but that he didn’t have any other fishing equipment with him.
He admitted possession of an offensive weapon and possession of cannabis in April and was sentenced at Wood Green Crown Court on Friday.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Paul Ridley from Hackney CID said: “The sentence in this case clearly demonstrates that carrying a knife is not acceptable. Weekes was remanded in custody since April and is now in prison. There is no excuse for carrying a knife on the streets of London. “
Anyone with information about people carrying knives can call police on 101.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 5 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation