Upper Clapton Road death: Man arrested over Betfred killing – as City of London Police take over investigation
- Credit: Archant
Police investigating the killing of a man in Upper Clapton Street’s Betfred shop have made an arrest.
The man will be interviewed by homicide detectives from City of London Police, who are investigating the death on Wednesday.
The Met’s resources are so stretched after London’s recent spate of murders that the City force offered assistance.
The Met said it “routinely works closely with other forces, especially its neighbouring forces which include City of London Police, on a variety of crime prevention initiatives”.
Cops were called to the bookmakers just before 4.30pm, where a man was reported unconscious. The 53-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene.
You may also want to watch:
His next of kin has been informed and a post-mortem examination will take place at Poplar Mortuary today.
The victim is believed to have been involved in an altercation with another man who then left the scene.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 3 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 10 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
Anyone with information is asked to contact police via 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.