Upper Clapton van fireball mystery
Residents woken in the early hours by a horn blaring in a quiet Upper Clapton cul de sac were shocked to see two vans alight, with a fireball reaching 25 feet in the air.
Fire fighters were called just after 2am on Friday June 29 to Hillstowe Street, and many residents evacuated their homes until the blaze was under control 30 minutes later.
Vehicles on the other side of the road were also damaged following a series of exploding tyres, and an entire telephone mast was set alight, cutting off phone and internet access.
Witness Hamilton Hawksworth said he saw a white van arrive in the street, and two men emerge.
Not long after, a car drove up and the two men went to either side of the van before getting in the car, before the van caught alight 10 minutes later.
You may also want to watch:
No arrests have been made and police are appealing for anyone with information to call 101.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 8 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death