Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- Credit: Met Police
A woman armed with an axe attacked a Hackney Wetherspoons last Friday.
Police were called to Baxter's Court pub on Mare Street at 11.24pm on October 1, to reports of criminal damage at the public house.
It has been reported on social media that the manager of the pub locked customers inside to keep them safe, as they watched the woman hack at the building.
Customers were let out once the manager deemed it safe to do so and the pub shut for the night.
At this stage officers believe that a female customer had been involved in an altercation inside the pub and when asked to leave she produced an axe from beneath her coat and caused damage to a number of doors before leaving the venue.
You may also want to watch:
Wetherspoons' spokesman Eddie Gershon provided a statement which only said: “This was a very distressing incident for staff and customers in the pub."
There were no reported injuries and so far no arrests have been made.
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 3 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 7 Parents protest plan to close children's centres in Hackney
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 10 Stevenage and Leyton Orient still searching for a victory after stalemate at the Lamex
Witnesses should call police on 101 or tweet @MetCC quoting 8564/1OCT.
To remain anonymous call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit crimestoppers-uk.org.