Woman pinned to floor by police in Dalston was arrested ‘on suspicion of assaulting an officer’
- Credit: Emma Bartholomew
Police say a woman who was pinned to the ground in Kingsland High Street on Sunday night was being arrested on suspicion of assaulting an officer.
Crowds gathered as the woman, in her 20s, and another person were restrained by "three or four policemen".
Cops had been called to Gillett Square, around the corner, at 9.15pm after reports of disorder. Scotland Yard said while at the scene one officer was injured with a bottle.
"She became aggressive and violent and was restrained for her safety and the safety of those around her," a police spokesperson said. "She was not injured".
Multiple police vans were sent to the scene, as were officers from the Met's Territorial Support Group.
One witness told the Gazette: "There was a line of police officers outside the Dalston Local shop pinning what seems to have been a woman to the ground.
"Bystanders seemed really upset and were calling for an ambulance, eventually I saw the police lift up a woman who seemed unconscious or at the very least not at all able to walk and push her into the back of a van.
- 1 Children hospitalised in Stamford Hill house fire involving candles
- 2 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 3 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 4 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 5 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 6 Homerton LTN to be made permanent despite division among residents
- 7 Drivers and assistants for special needs pupils vote to strike after council 'brush off'
- 8 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 9 Acapella choir to debut at Hackney's Round Chapel
- 10 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
"Policemen were blocking pedestrians from entering the square until maybe 11pm."
Another added: "I walked past at 9.15pm when two people were pinned down by at least three or four policemen.
"I think one of the people on the ground was a woman, who was screaming. Several people were filming on their phones. I walked home but could hear sirens outside for an hour or so after."
The arrested woman was taken into custody and has been released under investigation.