Woodberry Down man one of 12 jailed for dealing cocaine to City workers
- Credit: Archant
A Woodberry Down man is among members of an organised crime gang jailed for 30 years for dealing cocaine to City workers.
Bledar Ponari, 28, of Woodberry Grove, was jailed for five years and four months for conspiracy to supply cocaine, and six months for possession of improperly obtained identity documents at the Inner London Crown Court last month. The sentences will run concurrently.
An eight-month investigation by City of London Police led to the conviction of 12 gang members involved in delivering orders of the class A drug to the City.
A total of 1.2kg of drugs with a street value of up to £144,000 were seized, along with over £20,000 in cash.
Two "drug line" phones belonging to the two controllers, who would take the orders and arrange the pick-ups, were also recovered.
You may also want to watch:
Sadiq Khan has previously warned that cocaine users at "middle-class parties" are fuelling the gang violence on the capital's streets.
Det Con Lee Johnson, who led the operation, said: "A lot of individuals delivering drugs across the capital are young and vulnerable people who are being exploited. Many people don't realise it, but money from selling drugs can be used to fund other serious offences.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
"This operation has been incredibly successful in disrupting a large and organised group of criminals, making a profit from the sale and distribution of cocaine in the City."