Yaya Mbye murder: Police appealing for information return to Stoke Newington’s George Downing Estate a week on
- Credit: police
Detectives investigating the murder of 26-year-old Yaya Mbye on Stoke Newington’s George Downing Estate returned to the crime scene a week on to appeal for information.
Yaya collapsed on the children’s playground after the attack at 11.30pm on Sunday last week. He was taken to hospital but died an hour later.
Police believe the murder was planned, and was carried out by three men in dark clothing who they say came and left in a silver Mercedes estate.
Det Ch Insp Gary Holmes, from the Met’s murder squad, said: “We are doing everything we can to find and arrest the culprits involved in this terrible stabbing and will be in the area today, speaking to the local community. Detailed enquiries including the review of CCTV footage and forensic anaylsis is in hand.
“I believe there was a level of planning into this murder and I am interested in hearing from anybody who may have seen or heard anything in the area of the estate in the late part of Sunday evening.
You may also want to watch:
“I am particularly interested in tracing three males who were dressed in dark clothing who I believe were responsible for this attack. I believe they arrived and left the scene of the murder in a silver car believed to possibly be a Mercedes estate and I would like to hear from anybody who may have seen anything or may have any information about the murder if this young man.
“I am also appealing to anyone who could help us to piece together the final days and hours of Yaya’s life. Did you see him in the area that night or had you seen or spoke to him in the days leading up to his death?”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 3 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 7 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 8 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
A post-mortem gave Yaya’s cause of death as a stab wound.
No arrests have been made.
Anyone with information can contact the incident room on 020 8345 1570 or 101 or tweet information to @MetCC.
Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at crimestoppers-uk.org