Zakaria Abukar Sharif Ali: Islington man charged with murdering father-of-two outside Shoreditch bar
- Credit: MPS
A 21-year-old man has been charged with the murder of father-of-two Zakaria Abukar Sharif Ali outside a Shoreditch bar.
Tyla Goupal, of Islington, was charged in the early hours of this morning after being extradited from Cyprus, where he was arrested on October 23.
He was set to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court today.
Zakaria, 26, had just left Rolling Stock in Kingsland Road at about 6.30am on November 24 when he tried to break up a fight outside and was knifed. He died in hospital hours later, one of eight people killed in Hackney last year.
In the weeks after his death, friends of Zakaria raised almost £20,000 to pay for his funeral and support his wife and two young children.
You may also want to watch:
Det Con Insp Paul Considine, who is leading the investigation said: "Arresting Gopaul was truly a collaborative effort. I would like to thank our International partners for their invaluable assistance. Now Gopaul is back in the UK court proceedings can commence."
Destiny Bannerman, 18, of Ilford, was charged with perverting the course of justice via postal requisition and will appear at Thames Magistrates' Court on Thursday next week.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 7 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
A 35-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder and violent disorder, as well as two men aged 25 and 30 who were arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender have all been released with no further action.