CS1 road closures trial angers neighbours as it ‘doesn’t look very temporary’
- Credit: Archant
Questions have been raised about whether the “trial” closure of roads along the “cycle superhighway” in Hackney are in fact permanent.
The controversial scheme began at the start of last week in De Beauvoir and the Wordsworth Road area, having caused anger and division among neighbours for more than a year.
The decision to plough ahead was announced by Transport for London (TfL) in August following a consultation supported or “partially supported” by just 49 per cent of people.
Hackney Council said it would review feedback after six months of the 18-month trial due to the level of concern raised.
But the sight of concrete being dug up in the affected roads has led some people to believe any concerns they raise may fall on deaf ears.
You may also want to watch:
Rachel Afanasiev took to Twitter to quiz the town hall.
She said: “Those ‘temporary’, ‘trial’, ‘easy to remove/rearrange’ traffic-reducing measures for Middleton Road look expensively permanent!”
- 1 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 2 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 6 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 7 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
She was referring to consultation documents which said the measures would be “flexible”.
She added: “I’m sorry Hackney Council but this has distinct whiff of permanence.”
The town hall responded to her by saying engineers had given their assurance the methods could be reversed after six months if needed.
A spokesman said: “We’ve gone for something more robust to make sure HGVs don’t drive through, but the engineer assures me it’s easily removable.”
People can share their thoughts with the council before March 17 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘CS1 Wordsworth Rd Closures’