Cyclist dies after collision with tipper lorry at Hackney Road junction
A cyclist died on Saturday, four days after he was involved in a collision with a tipper lorry that police believe drove off following the incident in Haggerston.
Peter McGreal, who was 44 and lived in Walthamstow, was so seriously hurt that police said the case was passed to the Road Death Investigation unit when he was still in “critical condition”, to reflect the severity of his injuries. He was being treated at Royal London Hospital.
Police managed to trace the driver of the yellow lorry later the same day, but are appealing for witnesses who saw the incident at 8.30am on Tuesday, June 21, in Pritchard’s Road, at the junction with Hackney Road in Haggerston.
Det Con Nick Burt, of the Road Death Investigation Unit, said: “This collision happened in the middle of rush hour so there would have been numerous people in the vicinity.
“If you saw the collision, or the events leading up to the collision, please contact us.”
You may also want to watch:
The driver of the lorry was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving, and was bailed to return to an east London police station on Monday, September 12, pending further enquires.
Anyone with information should call the Road Death Investigation Unit witness line on 020 8597 4874.
- 1 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 2 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 3 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 4 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 TV drama of fascism and resistance in Jewish East London
- 10 Parents protest plan to close children's centres in Hackney
To join the Gazette’s Hackney Cycle Safe campaign for cyclists, motorists and lorry drivers, go to our homepage and click on the campaign logo.