Cyclist in 70s in hospital after De Beauvoir crash
- Credit: Archant
Ambulance crews sparked an angry backlash by writing #nohelmet in a tweet about an elderly cyclist being taken to hospital following a crash.
Police were called to Northchurch Road, De Beauvoir, at 2pm yesterday by London Ambulance Service, who found the man in his 70s with head injuries after colliding with a van.
An LAS Twitter account said he was taken to a major trauma centre as a priority and angered users by writing #nohelmet.
User @Jono_Kenyon said there was no need for the hashtag, saying “we don’t do it for drivers” but Hackney police, tweeting from their @MPSHackney account, defended their emergency services partners.
The Joint Response Unit who posted the original tweet then claimed a helmet would have prevented further head injuries, which, again, was met with anger.
You may also want to watch:
User @stuarthelmer replied: “There is *absolutely no way* you can know that. Sloppy thinking.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 6 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year