Dalston car park death: Murder probe launched after fatal attack on man, 48, in Sandringham Road
PUBLISHED: 07:38 10 June 2016 | UPDATED: 09:31 10 June 2016
A murder investigation is under way following the death of a man who was attacked in a Dalston car park.
Mehmet Değerli, 49, of Stoke Newington, was found collapsed in a small residents’ car park off Sandringham Road at the junction with Cecilia Road at 1.09am on Wednesday.
Paramedics tried to save his life at the scene, but he was pronounced dead a short while later, Scotland Yard said.
Mr Değerli’s car which was parked in Sandringham Road had been damaged, and police have appealed for any witnesses to come forward.
DCI Rob Pack, who is leading the investigation, said: “At this stage we believe Mr Derğerli to have been the victim of a violent assault - and need to hear from people who can help us piece together exactly what happened.
“It is likely there would have been cars and pedestrians about even at that time of night. The area is also overlooked by numerous houses and flats.
“Were you driving through and saw a fight? Do you live locally and heard or saw anything that you think is connected?
“Did you see anyone interfering with any vehicles in that area? Or anyone hanging around at that time either on foot or in a car?”
A 46-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder.
A post-mortem examination took place yesterday.
Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 3985 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.