Dalston fashion designer makes 12-hour wedding dress bid for Ugandan child soldiers
- Credit: Archant
A Dalston fashion designer is making a “full and fabulous” wedding dress in just 12 hours this Saturday to raise money for traumatised Ugandan child soldiers to undergo psychotherapy.
Mark Johnson will be filmed as he makes the bid in his Graham Road studio for the charity, I Am Somebody’s Child Soldier, and the dress will then be sent to Uganda to be auctioned off next month following a fashion show.
The charity is looking to raise £16,000 in 40 days to raise awareness of the mental health issues suffered by rescued child soldiers.
Children are sometimes recruited to fight in the civil war by t militant group the Lord’s Resistance Army, which is fighting President Yowri Museveni.
The charity wants to set up rehabilitation centres in Uganda and fund specialist psychotherapists to provide ongoing support and rehabilitation for rescued child soldiers suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and depression.
You may also want to watch:
To donate see www.indiegogo.com/projects/826853/fblk.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 6 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year