Dalston neighbours thought collapsing roof was thunder
Police taped off a Dalston road this afternoon to ensure the safety of passers-by, after the roof of a house caved in.
No one was injured when the roof of the three-storey terrace house in Montague Road collapsed.
Sharon Kaur, who was visiting her mother in adjacent house number 1, said they had mistaken the noise of the roof collapsing for thunder during Saturday’s storm.
“We saw on Monday that it was the roof, but we didn’t realise it was dangerous,” she said.
The fire brigade was called today just after midday, and the road was taped off.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for the council said that their building control team had inspected the houses, and scaffolding would go up shortly to make number 3 safe.
“Once that’s done it’s up to the owners to carry out any necessary works,” she added.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 8 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Sadiq Khan: “Young People in Hackney remind me of myself 30 years ago”