Dalston Peace Mural unveiled after restoration works
- Credit: Archant
Iconic Hackney landmark, Dalston Peace Carnival Mural has been unveiled after restoration works to bring it back to its former glory were completed last week.
The artwork stands in Dalston Lane for residents to enjoy after being cleaned, repainted and protected by a special coating to ease graffiti removal.
The mural has long been a fixture in the borough, and was featured on an album by Hackney band Rudimental.
It was designed by artist Ray Walker to celebrate Peace Year in 1983 and depicts the peace carnival of the same year, as well as the threats to peace at the time.
Ray died shortly after designg the mural which was painted by fellow artist Mick Jones and Ray’s widow Anna.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Guy Nicholson, Cabinet member for regeneration, said: “The Peace mural has become one of Hackney’s iconic landmarks recognised the world over as a powerful statement about how people can live side by side as a tolerant, generous and peace loving community.
“Now renovated to its original glory and the fabric of the mural secured for many years to come, thanks must go to the skill and expertise of all those involved in bringing our mural back to life for all of us to enjoy, in particular the artistry of Paul Butler, Linda Jane James and the team at Hirst Conservation.”
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 8 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction