Dalston project gets kids off streets on Friday nights
Youth group Real Roots Enterprise’s “Friday Night Project” has been given �10,000 by the Big Lottery Fund
A project to get Dalston kids off the streets on Friday nights, recording inspirational songs in a studio, has received a �10,000 boost from the Big Lottery Fund (BIG).
Youth group Real Roots Enterprise’s “Friday Night Project” wants to harness the creativity of disadvantaged young people on the night of the week when they are most vulnerable to peer pressure and likely to engage in anti-social behaviour, drug and alcohol abuse and knife and gun crime.
The 20-week project based in a Shacklewell Lane studio offers youngsters the chance to DJ, write songs, produce and record music and perform live.
Hopeton Allen, CEO of Real Roots Enterprise, said: “We aim to help develop aspiring talent, especially among deprived and disenfranchised young people in Hackney, and help them to deliver positive and inspirational songs, with clean lyrics that help create a positive lifestyle.
You may also want to watch:
“You would be amazed at the difference a project like this can make - so many young lives have been lost in Hackney from gang, gun and knife crime, but a scheme like this can help show young people that there is another way.”
BIG’s Awards for All programme offers grants of between �300 and �10,000 to social and environmental projects that will benefit local communities and make a difference to the lives of those most in need.
- 1 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 2 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 3 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 6 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 7 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 8 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 9 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 10 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions