Dalston woman celebrates her 104th birthday
- Credit: Archant
Dalston resident Winifred Rowell celebrated her 104th birthday party on Monday with a buffet and birthday cake.
Around 25 people turned up to the party in the community hall in Navarino mansions, Dalston Lane, Dalston.
Mrs Rowell, of Dalston Lane is in good health but suffers from hearing loss and impaired vision.
Gusts included her son, friends and John Bougourd, 68, of Dalston Lane, who is Mrs Rowell’s former son-in-law and has known her for 40 years.
He said: “She’s a lovely lady. She’s always been the life and soul of a party. She worked till she was in her late 60s and early 70s as a cook in different pubs. She used to work at The Pembury Tavern on Amhurst Road in the 1970s when my late wife owned it.
You may also want to watch:
“She’s had a hard life. She used to work as a maid in Kensington.
“She has also lost three husbands as well as her daughter.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
“However, she’s always been positive. I think the fact she has lived so long is down to her outlook on life - life’s for living.
“She would joke she was looking for a fourth husband. She didn’t hold anything - she got rid of clutter and she never held a grudge.”
Close friend Maureen Bougourd, 50, of Dalston Lane: “The party was very good. Winnie said she enjoyed it.”