Dalston woman celebrates her 104th birthday
- Credit: Archant
Dalston resident Winifred Rowell celebrated her 104th birthday party on Monday with a buffet and birthday cake.
Around 25 people turned up to the party in the community hall in Navarino mansions, Dalston Lane, Dalston.
Mrs Rowell, of Dalston Lane is in good health but suffers from hearing loss and impaired vision.
Gusts included her son, friends and John Bougourd, 68, of Dalston Lane, who is Mrs Rowell’s former son-in-law and has known her for 40 years.
He said: “She’s a lovely lady. She’s always been the life and soul of a party. She worked till she was in her late 60s and early 70s as a cook in different pubs. She used to work at The Pembury Tavern on Amhurst Road in the 1970s when my late wife owned it.
“She’s had a hard life. She used to work as a maid in Kensington.
“She has also lost three husbands as well as her daughter.
- 1 Two shootings in Hackney as Walthamstow murder probe launched
- 2 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 3 Community bus serving Islington and Hackney cancelled after surging fuel prices
- 4 ‘Blimey’: Stoke Newington resident celebrates 109th birthday
- 5 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 6 10 ace tunes for this year's All Points East
- 7 5 things to look forward to at All Points East Festival 2022
- 8 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 9 Thousands attend UK Black Pride event in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- 10 Rival bosses bemoan ref justice as Tottenham snatch dramatic draw at Chelsea
“However, she’s always been positive. I think the fact she has lived so long is down to her outlook on life - life’s for living.
“She would joke she was looking for a fourth husband. She didn’t hold anything - she got rid of clutter and she never held a grudge.”
Close friend Maureen Bougourd, 50, of Dalston Lane: “The party was very good. Winnie said she enjoyed it.”