Date set for Hackney One Carnival 2016
- Credit: Archant
The Hackney One Carnival returns on Sunday September 11 with spectacular costumes, energetic dance, sound systems and live music from around the world.
The council-run event will fill the borough with colour with hundreds of performers from carnival and community groups joining residents to celebrate Hackney’s thriving cultures and creativity.
With a procession that will weave its way throughout the borough, starting at Ridley Road and ending at Cecilia Road in Dalston, the carnival will feature Hackney’s best young musicians, an all-day play area in Gillett Square and a carnival party in Ridley Road with global food, arts and crafts.
Residents and businesses in Ridley Road are being invited to dress the front of their homes and shops in the most vibrant carnival decorations they create, to be in with a chance of scooping a prize.
Cllr Jonathan McShane, cabinet member for health, social care and culture, said: “The Hackney One Carnival is one of east London’s stand-out events, jam-packed with a fantastic variety of costumes that will brighten up the borough and music to everyone dancing.
You may also want to watch:
“I want to see as many people lining the route to make this year’s carnival the best ever celebrating all that is great about Hackney.
“Get the date in your diary and join in the fun.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 8 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 9 Hackney author tells how a mysterious death mask links to a well known invention
- 10 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
Volunteers are needed to help steward the procession, assist with the registration of carnival groups and other jobs on the day. There are also opportunities to get involved with making costumes.
To register your interest in becoming a volunteer email email@example.com.
Any individual or group who wants to perform in the carnival should email firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is June 13.