Date set for Hackney One Carnival 2016
- Credit: Archant
The Hackney One Carnival returns on Sunday September 11 with spectacular costumes, energetic dance, sound systems and live music from around the world.
The council-run event will fill the borough with colour with hundreds of performers from carnival and community groups joining residents to celebrate Hackney’s thriving cultures and creativity.
With a procession that will weave its way throughout the borough, starting at Ridley Road and ending at Cecilia Road in Dalston, the carnival will feature Hackney’s best young musicians, an all-day play area in Gillett Square and a carnival party in Ridley Road with global food, arts and crafts.
Residents and businesses in Ridley Road are being invited to dress the front of their homes and shops in the most vibrant carnival decorations they create, to be in with a chance of scooping a prize.
Cllr Jonathan McShane, cabinet member for health, social care and culture, said: “The Hackney One Carnival is one of east London’s stand-out events, jam-packed with a fantastic variety of costumes that will brighten up the borough and music to everyone dancing.
You may also want to watch:
“I want to see as many people lining the route to make this year’s carnival the best ever celebrating all that is great about Hackney.
“Get the date in your diary and join in the fun.”
- 1 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 2 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 3 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 4 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 5 Cinema set to open in Finsbury Park in time for No Time to Die
- 6 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 7 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 8 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 10 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
Volunteers are needed to help steward the procession, assist with the registration of carnival groups and other jobs on the day. There are also opportunities to get involved with making costumes.
To register your interest in becoming a volunteer email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any individual or group who wants to perform in the carnival should email email@example.com. The deadline is June 13.