Davinson Sanchez agrees contract extension with Tottenham Hotspur after excellent breakthrough campaign
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The summer signing from Ajax caught the eye during his debut season at Spurs and has been rewarded with a new deal
Davinson Sanchez has signed a new contract with Tottenham Hotspur which will tie him down to the club until the end of the 2023/24 season.
The Colombian has impressed since his £42 million move from Ajax last summer and made 41 appearances for Spurs in all competitions during the past campaign.
After initially impressing during a back-three alongside Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld, Sanchez caught the eye in a two with Vertonghen after Alderweireld suffered a torn hamstring in November.
The 21-year-old played a big part in the club going 14 games unbeaten in the Premier League, which helped Tottenham secured a third consecutive top-three finish.
You may also want to watch:
Sanchez didn’t have it all easy with a red card at Watford on December 2 a notable low point while he has been at fault for goals this season.
Yet given his age and his lack of experience in England, many would agree he has had a fine first campaign in the Premier League.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
He signed a six-year deal last summer, so this new contract is only a one-year extension, but it is positive news for the club.
It comes off the back of Kyle Walker-Peters agreeing new terms with Tottenham and committing his future to the north Londoners until the end of the 2020/21 season on Monday afternoon.
Spurs fans will no doubt be eager for the likes of Hugo Lloris, Vertonghen, Christian Eriksen, Dele Alli and Harry Kane to pen contract extensions now, but these announcements since the end of the campaign are an encouraging step in the right direction.