Sanchez helps Colombia to famous win over Messi’s Argentina
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The centre back managed to prevent the Barcelona superstar from scoring as his nation clinched a historic win in the Copa America
There was to be no Davinson Sanchez vs Juan Foyth duel in the Copa America last weekend, but Tottenham Hotspur's Colombian did play the full 90 minutes against Argentina and helped his country win against them for the first time in 12 years.
Spurs' number six started for his nation on Saturday while youngster Foyth had to make do with a spot on the bench for the encounter in Brazil.
Up against Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi, Sanchez had to be alert from the off and fortunately was as it remained goalless at the break.
Both teams pushed for the opener after the restart and Colombia managed to find it and add another to secure a famous 2-0 win.
You may also want to watch:
It was their first over Argentina for some time and meant it was a night to remember for Sanchez and his countrymen.
Foyth, who remained an unused substitute, will hope to be involved in the next Argentina group game later this week.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 10 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
Elsewhere, Ivory Coast captain Serge Aurier had a game to forget in Abu Dhabi after they lost 1-0 to Uganda.
It was a friendly in preparation for the Africa Cup of Nations which starts later this week and the right-back will hope for much better when the tournament begins in Egypt.