De Beauvoir Gardeners’ Flower and Produce Show sees “spectacular” fruit and veg
- Credit: Archant
Five-year old Fred Owen was delighted at the weekend when his marrow scooped the first prize in the De Beauvoir Gardeners’ Flower and Produce Show.
Prizes are awarded for flowers, veg, fruit, cakes and preserves at the annual event at St Peter’s Church in Northchurch Road, which mirrors traditional village country fairs.
The ever-popular dog show saw 50 pooches being entered for the waggiest tail and best hair-do, with Liz Hutchinson’s Jack Russell, Betty, scooping the prize for the best trick by spinning on her hind legs.
Event co-ordinator Stephen King, who belongs to the Gardeners’ organising committee, said the standard of the entries was “spectacular” and some of the vegetables entered were “enormous”.
“The children always bring wonderful things, they make little model gardens and one of them contained a penguin made out of an aubergine.
You may also want to watch:
“They put in paintings and drawings on the themes like my favourite holiday picture, but the one which is always popular is “garden friends and enemies”, so we got a lot of pictures of snails and slugs and foxes.”
- 1 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 2 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 3 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 4 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 9 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 10 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6