De Beauvoir Gardeners’ Flower and Produce Show sees “spectacular” fruit and veg
- Credit: Archant
Five-year old Fred Owen was delighted at the weekend when his marrow scooped the first prize in the De Beauvoir Gardeners’ Flower and Produce Show.
Prizes are awarded for flowers, veg, fruit, cakes and preserves at the annual event at St Peter’s Church in Northchurch Road, which mirrors traditional village country fairs.
The ever-popular dog show saw 50 pooches being entered for the waggiest tail and best hair-do, with Liz Hutchinson’s Jack Russell, Betty, scooping the prize for the best trick by spinning on her hind legs.
Event co-ordinator Stephen King, who belongs to the Gardeners’ organising committee, said the standard of the entries was “spectacular” and some of the vegetables entered were “enormous”.
“The children always bring wonderful things, they make little model gardens and one of them contained a penguin made out of an aubergine.
You may also want to watch:
“They put in paintings and drawings on the themes like my favourite holiday picture, but the one which is always popular is “garden friends and enemies”, so we got a lot of pictures of snails and slugs and foxes.”
- 1 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 2 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 3 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 4 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 7 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 8 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 9 Trick or Eat returns to help Hackney Foodbank
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney