De Beauvoir Gardeners’ Flower and Produce Show sees “spectacular” fruit and veg
- Credit: Archant
Five-year old Fred Owen was delighted at the weekend when his marrow scooped the first prize in the De Beauvoir Gardeners’ Flower and Produce Show.
Prizes are awarded for flowers, veg, fruit, cakes and preserves at the annual event at St Peter’s Church in Northchurch Road, which mirrors traditional village country fairs.
The ever-popular dog show saw 50 pooches being entered for the waggiest tail and best hair-do, with Liz Hutchinson’s Jack Russell, Betty, scooping the prize for the best trick by spinning on her hind legs.
Event co-ordinator Stephen King, who belongs to the Gardeners’ organising committee, said the standard of the entries was “spectacular” and some of the vegetables entered were “enormous”.
“The children always bring wonderful things, they make little model gardens and one of them contained a penguin made out of an aubergine.
You may also want to watch:
“They put in paintings and drawings on the themes like my favourite holiday picture, but the one which is always popular is “garden friends and enemies”, so we got a lot of pictures of snails and slugs and foxes.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 9 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year