De Beauvoir woman gets thumbs-up form Jonathan Ross for cinematic version of award-winning musical
A woman from De Beauvoir is directing the cinematic version of an acclaimed West End production.
Maria Friedman’s production of award-winning musical Merrily We Roll Along will be in UK cinemas on October 24.
It is the first title in the West End Theatre Series, which aims to make productions from London’s West End available as a global cinema series.
The musical is based on the book by George Furth with music and lyrics by Oscar-winning composer Stephen Sondheim.
Mr Sondheim said: “This production is not only the best I’ve seen, but one of those rare instances where casting, direction and show come together in perfect combination, resulting in the classic ideal of the sum being greater than the parts.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile TV presenter Jonathan Ross has given the West End hit his seal of approval during an interview with Maria Friedman and the leading cast members, Mark Umbers, Jenna Russell and Damian Humbley. He said: “I saw this production a few weeks ago at the Chocolate Factory, and it blew me away.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service