De Beauvoir woman gets thumbs-up form Jonathan Ross for cinematic version of award-winning musical
A woman from De Beauvoir is directing the cinematic version of an acclaimed West End production.
Maria Friedman’s production of award-winning musical Merrily We Roll Along will be in UK cinemas on October 24.
It is the first title in the West End Theatre Series, which aims to make productions from London’s West End available as a global cinema series.
The musical is based on the book by George Furth with music and lyrics by Oscar-winning composer Stephen Sondheim.
Mr Sondheim said: “This production is not only the best I’ve seen, but one of those rare instances where casting, direction and show come together in perfect combination, resulting in the classic ideal of the sum being greater than the parts.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile TV presenter Jonathan Ross has given the West End hit his seal of approval during an interview with Maria Friedman and the leading cast members, Mark Umbers, Jenna Russell and Damian Humbley. He said: “I saw this production a few weeks ago at the Chocolate Factory, and it blew me away.”
- 1 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 2 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 3 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 4 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 5 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 6 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 7 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 8 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
- 9 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets
- 10 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch