De Beauvoir woman gets thumbs-up form Jonathan Ross for cinematic version of award-winning musical
A woman from De Beauvoir is directing the cinematic version of an acclaimed West End production.
Maria Friedman’s production of award-winning musical Merrily We Roll Along will be in UK cinemas on October 24.
It is the first title in the West End Theatre Series, which aims to make productions from London’s West End available as a global cinema series.
The musical is based on the book by George Furth with music and lyrics by Oscar-winning composer Stephen Sondheim.
Mr Sondheim said: “This production is not only the best I’ve seen, but one of those rare instances where casting, direction and show come together in perfect combination, resulting in the classic ideal of the sum being greater than the parts.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile TV presenter Jonathan Ross has given the West End hit his seal of approval during an interview with Maria Friedman and the leading cast members, Mark Umbers, Jenna Russell and Damian Humbley. He said: “I saw this production a few weeks ago at the Chocolate Factory, and it blew me away.”
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens