Designer bags up for grabs from Hackney markets this weekend
Council-commissioned bags by Hackney designers will go on sale at local markets this weekend, to encourage residents to make the most of what’s on their doorstep.
The Love Hackney, Shop Local campaign asks residents and visitors to support its markets and think twice about using plastic bags, to support a sustainable local economy and help the borough to become one of the greenest in London.
Women’s fashion designer Atalanta Weller, Canadian knitwear designer Mark Fast, shoe designer Simone Rocha and menswear designer William Richard Green were each paid �500 to create a cotton tote.
Now 1,000 of each design have been made at a cost of �4,000 to the council, and they will be available to shoppers once they collect 10 tokens from participating market traders.
One token can be earned for each �1 spent, and there will be 500 bags up for grabs at each market.
You may also want to watch:
The first two designs, by Mark Fast and William Richard Green, will be available from designated traders at Broadway Market on Saturday January 28, Chatsworth Market on Sunday January 29, Ridley Road Market on Friday February 3 and Hoxton Market on Saturday February 4.
The other two designs will be available in September.
- 1 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 9 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared