Designer bags up for grabs from Hackney markets this weekend
Council-commissioned bags by Hackney designers will go on sale at local markets this weekend, to encourage residents to make the most of what’s on their doorstep.
The Love Hackney, Shop Local campaign asks residents and visitors to support its markets and think twice about using plastic bags, to support a sustainable local economy and help the borough to become one of the greenest in London.
Women’s fashion designer Atalanta Weller, Canadian knitwear designer Mark Fast, shoe designer Simone Rocha and menswear designer William Richard Green were each paid �500 to create a cotton tote.
Now 1,000 of each design have been made at a cost of �4,000 to the council, and they will be available to shoppers once they collect 10 tokens from participating market traders.
One token can be earned for each �1 spent, and there will be 500 bags up for grabs at each market.
You may also want to watch:
The first two designs, by Mark Fast and William Richard Green, will be available from designated traders at Broadway Market on Saturday January 28, Chatsworth Market on Sunday January 29, Ridley Road Market on Friday February 3 and Hoxton Market on Saturday February 4.
The other two designs will be available in September.
- 1 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 2 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 3 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 4 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 5 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 6 Corbyn slams 'spy cops' in peace group as 'disgraceful interference'
- 7 A sneak peak of what's in store for Black History Season in Hackney
- 8 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 9 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 10 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting