Developers defend plans for new homes on London Fields estate
- Credit: Archant
The firm behind plans for two new homes on a London Fields estate has hit back at neighbours opposing the scheme – and says hardly any of them are actually affected by it.
London Fields West LLP wants to build a part one-storey and part three-storey block on a disused plot of the Morland Estate. The land was sold by the town hall in 2014 amid protests from neighbours, who wanted it for a community garden.
Architects Chance de Silva originally wanted to build a four-and-a-half storey block but reduced it after meeting with neighbours, who are still not happy. Julian Blake, chair of the Morland Blanchard TRA, which represents 300 people, says it is “too dominant” and will see neighbours lose light and privacy.
But Stephen Chance, of Chance de Silva, said: “It is smaller than nearly all the Victorian or Georgian buildings in the neighbourhood, as well as the modern estate.
“The design has been carefully modelled, with advice from independent specialist Waterslade, to ensure the continuation of good daylight and privacy to adjacent neighbours and their report states each property will continue to receive good sunlight and daylight amenity after development.
You may also want to watch:
“The estate is to the south and west of the proposed site and the 300 residents cited by the Morland TRA are not detrimentally affected by the proposals. In fact only a few in the tower block overlook what is currently a fly-tipped derelict site.”
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse