Diane Abbott appointed Shadow Junior Minister for Public Health
Backbencher gets first prominent role.
DIANE Abbott MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has taken up a junior ministerial position in health.
Ms Abbott, who was a candidate in the Labour Leadership contest, said she was honoured to take up the role which will see her play a part in rebuilding the party alongside new leader Ed Miliband.
She said: “I am honoured to take up this position in the party and look forward to working alongside Shadow Health minister, John Healey.
“My mother was a nurse and I have always been outspoken about health issues as an MP.
You may also want to watch:
“I am pleased to be able to work alongside our new leader to help him to carry out the vision of our party’s future, and I will continue to be a strong voice within the party and in opposition.”
- 1 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 9 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared