Diane Abbott appointed Shadow Junior Minister for Public Health
Backbencher gets first prominent role.
DIANE Abbott MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has taken up a junior ministerial position in health.
Ms Abbott, who was a candidate in the Labour Leadership contest, said she was honoured to take up the role which will see her play a part in rebuilding the party alongside new leader Ed Miliband.
She said: “I am honoured to take up this position in the party and look forward to working alongside Shadow Health minister, John Healey.
“My mother was a nurse and I have always been outspoken about health issues as an MP.
You may also want to watch:
“I am pleased to be able to work alongside our new leader to help him to carry out the vision of our party’s future, and I will continue to be a strong voice within the party and in opposition.”
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 5 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 8 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 9 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 10 Hackney bike thefts surge during pandemic