Diane Abbott appointed Shadow Junior Minister for Public Health
Backbencher gets first prominent role.
DIANE Abbott MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has taken up a junior ministerial position in health.
Ms Abbott, who was a candidate in the Labour Leadership contest, said she was honoured to take up the role which will see her play a part in rebuilding the party alongside new leader Ed Miliband.
She said: “I am honoured to take up this position in the party and look forward to working alongside Shadow Health minister, John Healey.
“My mother was a nurse and I have always been outspoken about health issues as an MP.
You may also want to watch:
“I am pleased to be able to work alongside our new leader to help him to carry out the vision of our party’s future, and I will continue to be a strong voice within the party and in opposition.”
- 1 Queens Birthday Honours List 2021: MP Meg Hillier and poet Lemn Sissay among those recognised
- 2 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 4 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 5 Diane Abbott to join 'Geffrye Must Fall' protest at museum reopening
- 6 Ridley Road market mask hero helps Hackney people through the pandemic
- 7 The Museum of the Home 'welcomes peaceful protest' over Geffrye statue
- 8 Hackney could lose Dalston ward to Islington under proposed redrawing of electoral map
- 9 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 10 Woman charged with murder after Stamford Hill fatal stabbing