‘Diane Abbott care package’ fundraising page has almost hit £5,000
- Credit: Pat Venditti
A fundraising page to buy a “care package” for Hackney MP Diane Abbott has bagged nearly £5,000 – most of which will now be given to charity.
Comedian Sophie Duker, 27, and a 25-year-old film professional known only as Tony decided to set up the GoFundMe page after the MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington bowed out of campaigning through illness last week.
The pair paid tribute to the three decades “Lady Di” has spent “battling combined racism and sexism with one hand, and building up Hackney with the other”.
On the fundraising page they write: “So she ain’t perfect. She slipped up more than once. She’s abrasive. But the level of vitriol, recycled hate and scrutiny she’s been subjected to in comparison to other paler, maler MPs who fudge their numbers, make spurious statements, actively offend and don’t know their Brexit from their breakfast is objectively insane.”
They propose sending her “at least two litres of coconut oil”, an audio recording of Serena Williams reading Maya Angelou, candles from The White Company, and chocolate, and have invited further suggestions.
You may also want to watch:
After the £50 estimated to send Ms Abbott the “care package”, the rest of the proceeds will go towards Hackney charities including LGBT cause Project Indigo and The Crib youth club.
See how the fund is progressing at gofundme.com/dianeabbott carepackage.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase