‘Diane Abbott care package’ fundraising page has almost hit £5,000
- Credit: Pat Venditti
A fundraising page to buy a “care package” for Hackney MP Diane Abbott has bagged nearly £5,000 – most of which will now be given to charity.
Comedian Sophie Duker, 27, and a 25-year-old film professional known only as Tony decided to set up the GoFundMe page after the MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington bowed out of campaigning through illness last week.
The pair paid tribute to the three decades “Lady Di” has spent “battling combined racism and sexism with one hand, and building up Hackney with the other”.
On the fundraising page they write: “So she ain’t perfect. She slipped up more than once. She’s abrasive. But the level of vitriol, recycled hate and scrutiny she’s been subjected to in comparison to other paler, maler MPs who fudge their numbers, make spurious statements, actively offend and don’t know their Brexit from their breakfast is objectively insane.”
They propose sending her “at least two litres of coconut oil”, an audio recording of Serena Williams reading Maya Angelou, candles from The White Company, and chocolate, and have invited further suggestions.
You may also want to watch:
After the £50 estimated to send Ms Abbott the “care package”, the rest of the proceeds will go towards Hackney charities including LGBT cause Project Indigo and The Crib youth club.
See how the fund is progressing at gofundme.com/dianeabbott carepackage.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 4 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets