Disbanded Hackney youth club to re-launch
Sport teams set up for children.
FAMOUS old boys will return to help re-launch a sporting youth club.
Boxer Ian Napa and Leyton Orient shot stopper Yilmaz Aksoy will both be on hand at the opening of the St Matthias Club and the launch of the St Matthias Soccer Academy on Friday (January 7).
The club, in Dalston Lane, was set up in 1968 as St Matthias Boys’ Club but was forced to close in 2007 due to funding.
A determined group of community members have managed to obtain new funding from the National Lottery grant Awards For All and are bringing it back every Friday night.
You may also want to watch:
The new St Matthias will be putting on a wide range of sporting activities for boys and girls aged 8 to 11 and is calling on people to come along and get involved.
The launch takes place from 6pm to 9pm on Friday January 7 at St Matthias Club at 101 Dalston Lane, E8 1N.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV
- 7 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 8 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 9 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
For more information visit www.facebook.com/St.MatthiasClub or call 02072549144.