Disbanded Hackney youth club to re-launch
Sport teams set up for children.
FAMOUS old boys will return to help re-launch a sporting youth club.
Boxer Ian Napa and Leyton Orient shot stopper Yilmaz Aksoy will both be on hand at the opening of the St Matthias Club and the launch of the St Matthias Soccer Academy on Friday (January 7).
The club, in Dalston Lane, was set up in 1968 as St Matthias Boys’ Club but was forced to close in 2007 due to funding.
A determined group of community members have managed to obtain new funding from the National Lottery grant Awards For All and are bringing it back every Friday night.
You may also want to watch:
The new St Matthias will be putting on a wide range of sporting activities for boys and girls aged 8 to 11 and is calling on people to come along and get involved.
The launch takes place from 6pm to 9pm on Friday January 7 at St Matthias Club at 101 Dalston Lane, E8 1N.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 7 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
For more information visit www.facebook.com/St.MatthiasClub or call 02072549144.