Disbanded Hackney youth club to re-launch
Sport teams set up for children.
FAMOUS old boys will return to help re-launch a sporting youth club.
Boxer Ian Napa and Leyton Orient shot stopper Yilmaz Aksoy will both be on hand at the opening of the St Matthias Club and the launch of the St Matthias Soccer Academy on Friday (January 7).
The club, in Dalston Lane, was set up in 1968 as St Matthias Boys’ Club but was forced to close in 2007 due to funding.
A determined group of community members have managed to obtain new funding from the National Lottery grant Awards For All and are bringing it back every Friday night.
You may also want to watch:
The new St Matthias will be putting on a wide range of sporting activities for boys and girls aged 8 to 11 and is calling on people to come along and get involved.
The launch takes place from 6pm to 9pm on Friday January 7 at St Matthias Club at 101 Dalston Lane, E8 1N.
- 1 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 2 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 7 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 8 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 9 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
For more information visit www.facebook.com/St.MatthiasClub or call 02072549144.