Dissenters offer Mozart and much more in Stoke Newington
- Credit: Archant
Splicing Shakespeare with Solomon Grundy might not be what you’d expect from your average choir, but then Stoke Newington’s songsters are reading from different hymn sheets to most.
Next weekend, new choir Young Dissenters join older sister Chorus of Dissent for a concert featuring Mozart’s Requiem, the Great Bard and a poppy surprise.
“This is about audience engagement and trying to get across different types of music,” said the Dissenters’ founder, sponsor and conductor, Ruth Whitehead.
The choirs are no stranger to mixing pop with classical, having partnered Elbow with both Bach and Beethoven.
“It’s got to be good though, it’s got to be musically excellent – we are striving for a very high standard,” said Ruth, who lives on Albion Road.
You may also want to watch:
Under the umbrella of Dissenters London N16, the bassoonist-turned-conductor started the Chorus of Dissent around three years ago, and now also nurtures younger singers.
The “bouncing, six-month-old baby” is her pride and joy.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
“They are a lesson to us all, because they haven’t yet learnt any prejudice about different types of music.”
While Ruth conduct the adult choir, the youngsters are primarily led by musician and producer Harvey Brough.
Formerly part of 80s band Harvey and the Wallbangers, Harvey now works as a producer, arranger and composter, and penned a piece to be sung by the Young Dissenters.
The choirs will be joined by the Salomon Orchestra, and perform at Stoke Newington Town Hall next Saturday, October 10, at 5.30pm.