Dissenters offer Mozart and much more in Stoke Newington
- Credit: Archant
Splicing Shakespeare with Solomon Grundy might not be what you’d expect from your average choir, but then Stoke Newington’s songsters are reading from different hymn sheets to most.
Next weekend, new choir Young Dissenters join older sister Chorus of Dissent for a concert featuring Mozart’s Requiem, the Great Bard and a poppy surprise.
“This is about audience engagement and trying to get across different types of music,” said the Dissenters’ founder, sponsor and conductor, Ruth Whitehead.
The choirs are no stranger to mixing pop with classical, having partnered Elbow with both Bach and Beethoven.
“It’s got to be good though, it’s got to be musically excellent – we are striving for a very high standard,” said Ruth, who lives on Albion Road.
You may also want to watch:
Under the umbrella of Dissenters London N16, the bassoonist-turned-conductor started the Chorus of Dissent around three years ago, and now also nurtures younger singers.
The “bouncing, six-month-old baby” is her pride and joy.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 9 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
“They are a lesson to us all, because they haven’t yet learnt any prejudice about different types of music.”
While Ruth conduct the adult choir, the youngsters are primarily led by musician and producer Harvey Brough.
Formerly part of 80s band Harvey and the Wallbangers, Harvey now works as a producer, arranger and composter, and penned a piece to be sung by the Young Dissenters.
The choirs will be joined by the Salomon Orchestra, and perform at Stoke Newington Town Hall next Saturday, October 10, at 5.30pm.