Doctor in drag will make Dame Dash on rollerskates
- Credit: Archant
A doctor is determined to overcome his broken leg and roller skate in drag, to raise funds for St Joseph’s Hospice where he works.
Dr Muhayman Jamil is planning to take part in the Dame Dash to benefit two of Hackney’s oldest and best known institutions – St Joseph’s and the Hackney Empire.
The 57-year old has already raised more than £5,000 swimming from Asia to Europe, cycling from London to Paris, as well as running the London Marathon several times - so he’s hoping travelling a kilometre on roller skates up Mare Street from the hospice to the theatre shouldn’t present too much of a challenge for him.
The plaster is due off only two weeks before the event on October 27, but Dr Jamil says he will do all he can to complete the course.
“So as long as I can weight bear on my leg I will be there and if I am on roller skates I should finish first,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
The two charities are still looking for members of the public to don their flashiest frock, plaster on the make-up and dress up as their favourite pantomime character for the 1km run to raise money to help them to continue their community work.
For more details see www.damedash.org.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV
- 7 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 8 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 9 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club