Doctor in drag will make Dame Dash on rollerskates
- Credit: Archant
A doctor is determined to overcome his broken leg and roller skate in drag, to raise funds for St Joseph’s Hospice where he works.
Dr Muhayman Jamil is planning to take part in the Dame Dash to benefit two of Hackney’s oldest and best known institutions – St Joseph’s and the Hackney Empire.
The 57-year old has already raised more than £5,000 swimming from Asia to Europe, cycling from London to Paris, as well as running the London Marathon several times - so he’s hoping travelling a kilometre on roller skates up Mare Street from the hospice to the theatre shouldn’t present too much of a challenge for him.
The plaster is due off only two weeks before the event on October 27, but Dr Jamil says he will do all he can to complete the course.
“So as long as I can weight bear on my leg I will be there and if I am on roller skates I should finish first,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
The two charities are still looking for members of the public to don their flashiest frock, plaster on the make-up and dress up as their favourite pantomime character for the 1km run to raise money to help them to continue their community work.
For more details see www.damedash.org.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12