Doctor in drag will make Dame Dash on rollerskates
- Credit: Archant
A doctor is determined to overcome his broken leg and roller skate in drag, to raise funds for St Joseph’s Hospice where he works.
Dr Muhayman Jamil is planning to take part in the Dame Dash to benefit two of Hackney’s oldest and best known institutions – St Joseph’s and the Hackney Empire.
The 57-year old has already raised more than £5,000 swimming from Asia to Europe, cycling from London to Paris, as well as running the London Marathon several times - so he’s hoping travelling a kilometre on roller skates up Mare Street from the hospice to the theatre shouldn’t present too much of a challenge for him.
The plaster is due off only two weeks before the event on October 27, but Dr Jamil says he will do all he can to complete the course.
“So as long as I can weight bear on my leg I will be there and if I am on roller skates I should finish first,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
The two charities are still looking for members of the public to don their flashiest frock, plaster on the make-up and dress up as their favourite pantomime character for the 1km run to raise money to help them to continue their community work.
For more details see www.damedash.org.
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 7 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney