Up on the woof: Dog rescued by firefighters after getting stuck on roof of Stoke Newington house
- Credit: Archant
A dog was rescued by firefighters after getting stuck on the roof of her owner’s home in Stoke Newington.
Willow, a three-year-old Staffordshire bull terrier, had climbed out of a loft window in the three-storey terrace and found herself on the roof.
She had been missing for a few hours and her panicked owners thought she'd got out the front door before hearing her from above.
Jason Butcher, white watch manager from Stoke Newington Fire Station was at the scene. He said: "She's lucky she didn't fall as it was only a small ledge where she got out of the window.
"She then climbed up the pitched roof and onto a flat area. Every now and then they could see her looking through the Velux window.
You may also want to watch:
"When we got the aerial ladder platform in place, Willow came to the edge to see what was going on and Firefighter Richard Kirby went up and brought her back down to safety before handing her over to her relieved owner.
"We would always urge people to contact the RSPCA if they see an animal stuck or in distress.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 3 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 4 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 5 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 6 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 7 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 8 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 10 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
"Firefighters love animals too and we are always happy to assist if the RSPCA require our assistance and specialist equipment, as we used in this case."
Crews from Stoke Newington were called just after 6.20pm and left the scene just before 8pm. An aerial ladder from Forest Hill Fire Station was also used.