‘Don’t pour petrol on your barbecue’ – fire chiefs’ warning after Kingsland Road blaze
- Credit: Archant
A man was badly burnt after pouring petrol on barbecue coals before lighting it on a terrace in Kingsland Road.
Ten firefighters were called to the blaze above a shop and flat on Sunday at 12.30pm. Investigators believe he had poured either white spirit or petrol on the barbecue and had to be taken to hospital as a result.
Fire chiefs have now warned others not to use ignitable fluids on barbecues because it is “exceptionally dangerous”.
A spokesman said: “Under no circumstances should you use white spirit or petrol to get your barbecue started.
“Having barbecues on balconies or enclosed terraces are also not encouraged as it’s easy for barbecues to get out of control and cause a fire which can then spread to other properties.”