Search

‘Don’t pour petrol on your barbecue’ – fire chiefs’ warning after Kingsland Road blaze

PUBLISHED: 17:40 03 August 2016 | UPDATED: 10:30 08 August 2016

Fire chiefs have warned people not to pour ignitable liquids on their barbecue

Fire chiefs have warned people not to pour ignitable liquids on their barbecue

Archant

A man was badly burnt after pouring petrol on barbecue coals before lighting it on a terrace in Kingsland Road.

Ten firefighters were called to the blaze above a shop and flat on Sunday at 12.30pm. Investigators believe he had poured either white spirit or petrol on the barbecue and had to be taken to hospital as a result.

Fire chiefs have now warned others not to use ignitable fluids on barbecues because it is “exceptionally dangerous”.

A spokesman said: “Under no circumstances should you use white spirit or petrol to get your barbecue started.

“Having barbecues on balconies or enclosed terraces are also not encouraged as it’s easy for barbecues to get out of control and cause a fire which can then spread to other properties.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette