Editor’s comment: Please join us for husting’s at St Peter’s
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
People who pay forensic attention to newspaper design might have spotted that we’ve had a small clean-up.
We aren’t the only ones freshening things up. On June 8, Hackney’s two parliamentary constituencies – and, of course, all the others in the country – will be choosing their MP for (up to) the next five years. Whether the incumbents return with renewed mandates or someone else moves in is up to you.
With all the caveats, and there are a lot, this is a chance to decide who represents us and who we want to run the country. First-past-the-post democracy is undeniably flawed, but it’s the only tool we have – this time, at least.
One problem is that people aren’t always that well informed. The De Beauvoir Association is hoping to inject a few more facts into the Hackney South and Shoreditch campaign by holding a hustings on Monday night (see letter). The Gazette will be there to cover proceedings for all those who can’t make it, or don’t fit into the church. With a following wind, readers and voters will come away knowing more about what the candidates stand for – and what they can and can’t actually achieve.
Perhaps we’re unlikely to attract loads of people who haven’t already made their minds up; that’s where the rest of you come in. If you know someone who’s considering not voting, or really is undecided, please encourage them to come along.
You may also want to watch:
It’s disappointing we haven’t managed to organise a hustings for Hackney North and Stoke Newington, and this isn’t for want of trying.
But please join us on Monday. I’d like to extend my thanks to the association for organising the event, and to the candidates for agreeing to come. I’m looking forward to a lively debate – and perhaps meeting some of you.
- 1 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 2 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 3 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 4 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Hackney from climate emergency
- 6 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 7 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 8 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 9 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 10 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers