BBC encourages Hackney secondary schools to get involved in East London design challenge
- Credit: BBC
Hackney and other East London school children could meet pop musicians, classical composers and presenters as part of a design challenge for a BBC education project.
The BBC East Bank Education Project is a continuation of several learning and education programmes set up for East London secondary schools preceding a planned move of the broadcaster’s music studios from Maida Vale to Olympic Park’s East bank.
The programme will have pupils aged 11 to 14 designing their own fictional performance space and recording studio for the BBC with help from musicians, composers, presenters, sound engineers and architects.
Jon Taylor, BBC programme director for East Bank, said: “We want to break down some of the barriers within the construction industry, immerse young people in the design and engineering process and in doing so enthuse them in building design, construction, music and the opportunities of the BBC’s move to Stratford East Bank.
“Perhaps we will even finding the next generation of east London talent who could be working in our new buildings.”
You may also want to watch:
The challenge, which was organised with construction learning programme Class Of Your Own and Oympic Park’s London Legacy Development Corporation, begins in December 2020 and runs to June 2021.
The scheme builds on the success of the East Summer School 2020 series of interactive online summer workshops, which focussed on careers in creative, tech and design industries for local young people living in Hackney, Newham, Tower Hamlets and Waltham Forest.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 4 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 7 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 8 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
East London secondary schools can register their interest by contacting Class of Your Own’s Matt Simmons at email@example.com