BFI Film Academy propels young film makers into the industry
- Credit: Archant
Budding film makers stepped onto the red carpet and into the limelight as they premiered five short films inspired by the theme of home.
Hackney residents Amid Ojubanire, Daisy Japes-Wattam, Liam Abbott, Saskia de Borchgrave and Shashin Hall’s films were all screened at the Rich Mix Arts Centre in Bethnal Green Road, Shoreditch, to an audience of over a hundred as the culmination of a three-month BFI (British Film Institute) Film Academy project.
The participants on the course run by the based Eastside Educational Trust in Hackney Road, met industry professionals for master classes to develop sound, editing, lighting and screenwriting skills.
They then worked in five small groups to develop, script, shoot and edit their ideas, producing films exploring genres from psychological thrillers and documentaries, to rom-coms.
An award ceremony at Rich Mix celebrated the achievements of the 23 young people aged 16-19 who had taken part.
You may also want to watch:
BFI’s head of education and skills, Nikki Christie spoke about the impact the network has already had in guiding young people to find suitable routes into film making, as one graduate of the course is now working as third assistant directors of feature films, while many others have been accepted onto film production university courses.
Pushing Daises – Seeing Red by Amid Ojubanire was voted as the audience’s favourite film.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney