Cardinal Pole’s street dance crew crowned the kings of swagger
Street dance crews battled it out on Monday to see who had the ‘freshest flavour’ or ‘sickest skill’.
The 11-16 year olds from four London secondary schools gathered at the Petchey Academy in Shacklewell Lane for the ‘Step in2 Battle North Champions’ competition.
Teams came from the Petchey Academy itself, St Pauls’ Academy in Greenwich, Cardinal Pole School in Hackney Central and St Aloysius’ College in Islington.
The Dynamic Fusions Crew from Cardinal Pole School in Morning Lane emerged triumphant, and will now get the chance to go head to head with the ‘South Champions’ at the prestigious Sadler’s Wells theatre in July.
Judge Gavin Vincent from ‘The A Team’ and ‘Soul Mavericks’ crews which were finalists on the Sky 1 talent show ‘Got to Dance 2012’, said: “The winning crew for me is one that can tell a story when they battle and make their moves flow with the music.”
You may also want to watch:
The event was organised by Step into Dance, a community youth programme run by the Royal Academy of Dance and The Jack Petchey Foundation, an organisation which gives grants to projects benefitting young people.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 9 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man