Colourful Woodberry Down school musical tells Diwali story
Pupils at Woodberry Down Community School staged an elaborate musical to mark Diwali – the festival of light which signifies the triumph of good over evil for Hindus. The festival is also celebrated by Sikhs and Jains.
Year 4, 5 and 6 pupils at the school in Woodberry Grove spent two weeks rehearsing intensely during lunch times and after school for the colourful production, which they performed in front of parents and children from other schools in the Best Start Federation on Friday.
Best Start executive principal Greg Wallace said: “We were trying to make a big thing of Diwali. We even had fireworks at the end.
“The standard of it was absolutely stunning. The singing, dancing, scenery, costume and acting was inspirational.
“Boys and girls took part with equal enthusiasm. Their Indian dancing was just fantastic. People should have paid a lot of money to watch it. There’s a chance they may take it to the Old Vic theatre and perform it there, so watch this space!”
You may also want to watch:
The school is part of the Best Start Federation of schools, which work together to focus on ensuring all children make good progress in reading, writing and numeracy.
It also comprises of Burbage Primary School in Hoxton, Whimore Primary School in Hoxton, Mandeville Primary School in Clapton and London Fields Primary School in Hackney Central.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 4 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets