Culinary students test their skills out alongside pros at college’s new Hoxton restaurant
- Credit: Archant
Culinary students put their skills to the test alongside professional chefs at a new Hoxton restaurant.
In June New City College opened OKN1 (Open Kitchen N1) at their Hackney campus in Hoxton Street. It allows the college's culinary students to get real world experience cooking for paying customers.
The reviews have been positive with one person online saying she made sure to eat the food slowly to savour every bite.
CEO and Principal New City College Gerry McDonald said: "It is the perfect marriage between having a professional team running the restaurant and leading and training our students who will work here."
The chef de partie, Scott, is an ex-student and said that his teachers inspired him to come back to the restaurant to show the students the culinary dream is possible.
You may also want to watch:
The restaurant is open seven days a week and serves a modern European menu with a focus on seasonal produce.
Information can be found at okn1.co.uk.
- 1 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 2 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 3 Huge new charity kitchen aims to produce 100,000 meals east London people this summer
- 4 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 5 Letter against the use of e-scooters on roads
- 6 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 7 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 8 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 9 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 10 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised