Culinary students test their skills out alongside pros at college’s new Hoxton restaurant
- Credit: Archant
Culinary students put their skills to the test alongside professional chefs at a new Hoxton restaurant.
In June New City College opened OKN1 (Open Kitchen N1) at their Hackney campus in Hoxton Street. It allows the college's culinary students to get real world experience cooking for paying customers.
The reviews have been positive with one person online saying she made sure to eat the food slowly to savour every bite.
CEO and Principal New City College Gerry McDonald said: "It is the perfect marriage between having a professional team running the restaurant and leading and training our students who will work here."
The chef de partie, Scott, is an ex-student and said that his teachers inspired him to come back to the restaurant to show the students the culinary dream is possible.
You may also want to watch:
The restaurant is open seven days a week and serves a modern European menu with a focus on seasonal produce.
Information can be found at okn1.co.uk.
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 5 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 6 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12