Eastenders actor Rudolph Walker congratulates Urswick on art award
- Credit: Archant
Eastenders actor Rudolph Walker congratulated pupils and teachers at Urswick as he delivered an award celebrating the school’s outstanding commitment to the arts.
Mr Walker, OBE, who plays Patrick Trueman in the long-running soap, presented the Artsmark Gold plaque to head teacher of the school in Paragon Road, Richard Brown during a celebratory assembly which saw year 8 students giving a live performance of Pharrell Williams’ song Happy, and year 11 drama students performing an extract of a play based on the life of Nelson Mandela.
Mr Walker congratulated the students, saying: “You must be very proud of your teachers. To be awarded gold at the first attempt deserves an extra round of applause.”
The Urswick School is the second school in Hackney to receive a gold award on Arts Council England’s flagship programme, recognizing arts and cultural provision.
Artsmark Gold is the highest Artsmark rating and recognises the school’s outstanding commitment to the arts.
You may also want to watch:
Year 13 student Ademola Ikusawe, 17, who is studying A-Level drama at the school’s sixth form academy said: “Throughout my school life I have really enjoyed studying arts subjects and I feel extremely proud that my school has been recognised for such a prestigious award.”
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse