Eastenders actor Rudolph Walker congratulates Urswick on art award
- Credit: Archant
Eastenders actor Rudolph Walker congratulated pupils and teachers at Urswick as he delivered an award celebrating the school’s outstanding commitment to the arts.
Mr Walker, OBE, who plays Patrick Trueman in the long-running soap, presented the Artsmark Gold plaque to head teacher of the school in Paragon Road, Richard Brown during a celebratory assembly which saw year 8 students giving a live performance of Pharrell Williams’ song Happy, and year 11 drama students performing an extract of a play based on the life of Nelson Mandela.
Mr Walker congratulated the students, saying: “You must be very proud of your teachers. To be awarded gold at the first attempt deserves an extra round of applause.”
The Urswick School is the second school in Hackney to receive a gold award on Arts Council England’s flagship programme, recognizing arts and cultural provision.
Artsmark Gold is the highest Artsmark rating and recognises the school’s outstanding commitment to the arts.
Year 13 student Ademola Ikusawe, 17, who is studying A-Level drama at the school’s sixth form academy said: “Throughout my school life I have really enjoyed studying arts subjects and I feel extremely proud that my school has been recognised for such a prestigious award.”
- 1 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 2 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 3 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 4 Dalston food couriers protest will disrupt deliveries this afternoon
- 5 'We are trying to shift a culture': ending harassment of Hackney school pupils
- 6 Incinerator protest group WhatsApp infiltrated by waste authority member
- 7 Apply now: Hackney Central business fund launched
- 8 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 9 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 10 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park