Eastenders actor Rudolph Walker congratulates Urswick on art award
- Credit: Archant
Eastenders actor Rudolph Walker congratulated pupils and teachers at Urswick as he delivered an award celebrating the school’s outstanding commitment to the arts.
Mr Walker, OBE, who plays Patrick Trueman in the long-running soap, presented the Artsmark Gold plaque to head teacher of the school in Paragon Road, Richard Brown during a celebratory assembly which saw year 8 students giving a live performance of Pharrell Williams’ song Happy, and year 11 drama students performing an extract of a play based on the life of Nelson Mandela.
Mr Walker congratulated the students, saying: “You must be very proud of your teachers. To be awarded gold at the first attempt deserves an extra round of applause.”
The Urswick School is the second school in Hackney to receive a gold award on Arts Council England’s flagship programme, recognizing arts and cultural provision.
Artsmark Gold is the highest Artsmark rating and recognises the school’s outstanding commitment to the arts.
You may also want to watch:
Year 13 student Ademola Ikusawe, 17, who is studying A-Level drama at the school’s sixth form academy said: “Throughout my school life I have really enjoyed studying arts subjects and I feel extremely proud that my school has been recognised for such a prestigious award.”
- 1 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 2 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Queens Birthday Honours List 2021: MP Meg Hillier and poet Lemn Sissay among those recognised
- 4 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 5 Diane Abbott to join 'Geffrye Must Fall' protest at museum reopening
- 6 Hackney could lose Dalston ward to Islington under proposed redrawing of electoral map
- 7 Ridley Road market mask hero helps Hackney people through the pandemic
- 8 Woman charged with murder after Stamford Hill fatal stabbing
- 9 Hoxton's new Britannia Leisure Centre to open this month
- 10 The Museum of the Home 'welcomes peaceful protest' over Geffrye statue