Entrepreneurs opening American football club to help combat childhood obesity in Hackney
- Credit: Archant
A pair of entrepreneurs are opening an American football club to help combat childhood obesity in Hackney.
Rani Lewinson and Faz Hossenally are directors of FloRéal Sports, an initiative which aims to give children and young people from deprived backgrounds the chance to get involved with American football.
Both women – who live in Highbury – were inspired to introduce the sport to schools in Hackney after reading about the alarming rate of childhood obesity across the borough, as well as the seventh highest rate of obesity in reception children in England (12 per cent).
According to data from the National Child Measurement Programme for 2014/15, 41 per cent of Hackney’s 11-year-olds are overweight or obese.
To launch the programme, a “Friday night lights” American football session will be held at Skinners Academy on Friday, with the aim of rolling the sport out to other schools that take an interest.
You may also want to watch:
Rani said: “We are delighted to be bringing American flag football to London, but most importantly to deprived areas and boroughs such as Hackney where children and young people otherwise would not have the opportunity to play it.
“We are aligning with the government’s obesity strategy, promoting physical activity and healthy eating at its best.”
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 10 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
American flag football is a non-contact version of the sport that does not rely on the use of helmets and protective wear.
The free try-out session will be for eight- to 11-year-olds from 5pm to 6pm, and 12- to 15-year-olds between 6pm and 7pm.
Members of the Hackney club will also have exclusive access to programmes designed by the nutritionist of NFL team the Dallas Cowboys.
For more information on the scheme visit florealsports.com.