GCSE results 2019: One in five City Academy Hackney students get three grades of 7 or higher
- Credit: Archant
One in five City Academy Hackney students got at least three grades of 7 or above this year.
Kai Ogden swept the board with 11 9s. He was very proud when speaking to Dawn Elliot, the chair of governors.
He said: "I am grateful for the trust that my teachers had in me. I couldn't have done it without their support".
Principal Mark Malcolm said: "We are very proud of the achievement of all of our students, many of whom have had to overcome significant challenges to get their grades."
One of these students, Thien Ngyen, arrived at the school three years ago unable to speak a word of English and has a fantastic set of results that enables him to study level 3 courses at sixth form.
You may also want to watch:
Some 77pc of students at the Homerton Row school passed English GCSE and 71pc passed maths. The overall pass rate for English across the UK this year was 59.2pc (down 4.1pc) while maths was 58.8pc (down 1.6pc).
Meanwhile 23 students achieved at least one grade 9 and one student had a remarkable achievement of all eleven GCSEs at grade 9.
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 5 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 6 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 7 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
The City Academy Hackney is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year. It is co-sponsored by the City of London Corporation and KPMG.