GCSE results 2019: One in five City Academy Hackney students get three grades of 7 or higher
- Credit: Archant
One in five City Academy Hackney students got at least three grades of 7 or above this year.
Kai Ogden swept the board with 11 9s. He was very proud when speaking to Dawn Elliot, the chair of governors.
He said: "I am grateful for the trust that my teachers had in me. I couldn't have done it without their support".
Principal Mark Malcolm said: "We are very proud of the achievement of all of our students, many of whom have had to overcome significant challenges to get their grades."
One of these students, Thien Ngyen, arrived at the school three years ago unable to speak a word of English and has a fantastic set of results that enables him to study level 3 courses at sixth form.
Some 77pc of students at the Homerton Row school passed English GCSE and 71pc passed maths. The overall pass rate for English across the UK this year was 59.2pc (down 4.1pc) while maths was 58.8pc (down 1.6pc).
Meanwhile 23 students achieved at least one grade 9 and one student had a remarkable achievement of all eleven GCSEs at grade 9.
- 1 Hackney strip bar could lose license after breaching Covid rules
- 2 Teenager charged after Jewish men attacked in Stamford Hill
- 3 Eight drivers arrested and 22 vehicles seized in Stoke Newington crackdown
- 4 More details emerge on antisemitic attack in Stamford Hill
- 5 Two Jewish men hospitalised day before Holocaust Memorial Day
- 6 Hackney mum and brain tumour patient to walk for charity dressed as duck
- 7 'Nail-biting situation': Hundreds of Homerton's staff at risk of dismissal over Covid vaccines
- 8 Wanted man may be in Hackney
- 9 Afghan refugee family rehomed in Hackney
- 10 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
The City Academy Hackney is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year. It is co-sponsored by the City of London Corporation and KPMG.