Abdul Hassan: Gifted Stoke Newington teenager wins deportation battle after 30,000 sign petition to Home Office
- Credit: Archant
A gifted Stoke Newington teenager is dreaming of the future after winning his battle to remain in the UK.
Resounding cheers rang out from friends and family of Abdul Hassan yesterday morning (Thursday) after a judge ruled at a tribunal in Feltham that Abdul Hassan’s “exemplary character” had earned him the right to continue on a career path that looks set to be packed with promise.
Abdul – who had bagged a place on a highly sought-after apprenticeship with KPMG after finishing his A-levels at Stoke Newington School – received the devastating news earlier this year that his application for leave to remain had been denied.
The Home Office had cited his “close family ties” in Bangladesh, despite the fact he has not seen any of his family there since he moved to Hackney at the age of five.
With the 19-year-old’s future hanging in the balance, his friends took action and within months a petition calling for Abdul to remain in the UK had been signed by close to 30,000 people.
Although he will have to wait a few weeks for his successful appeal to be officially ratified, Abdul told the Gazette he is relieved the ordeal is over and is looking forward to mapping out his future.
“It is an amazing feeling,” he said. “Despite the distance to travel, and the fact that some of my friends had exams, there were still 25 people there to see the judge rule in my favour.
- 1 Guilty: Man lured 2 young girls into garage and sexually abused them
- 2 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 3 Patrick Anzy: Three men jailed following Gillett Square murder
- 4 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 5 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 6 Hackney woman in court over 'chasing down' BBC journalist at lockdown rally
- 7 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 8 Police launch probe into Stamford Hill flat blaze
- 9 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
“I was so nervous before the end, but hopeful as well that the judge would make the right decision.
“I really want to thank all my friends and family, as well as the wider community, who supported me despite not knowing me, for their amazing help throughout this process.”
KPMG – which vowed to keep a place open for Abdul pending on the result of his hearing – has invited him in for a meeting next week, with a view to starting his apprenticeship in September as planned.
Abdul moved here in 2004 to live with an aunt. Both his parents were ill; later, his father died and his mother’s mental health deteriorated.
At 16, he did not receive a National Insurance number, and he had never been issued any ID or travel documents to work legally or travel abroad.
Diane Abbott, the MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington, had given her complete support to Abdul’s plight earlier this year, telling the Gazette: “Hackney is Abdul’s home and he should be allowed to stay.”