Google HQ to host open day for new Tech City sixth form
A new sixth form near Tech City specialising in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) will hold an open day at Google’s Soho HQ.
The STEM Academy Sixth Form opens this September to 16-19 year olds in an as yet undisclosed location around Hackney’s Tech City, as part of the government’s free school programme.
It has been announced John O’Shea will take up the post of principal in April, moving over from his current role as principal of Islington Sixth Form Consortium (IC6).
Prospective students will get the first opportunity to meet with him and hear more about plans for the STEM Academy Sixth Form at the open day on February 22.
Shuvo Saha, industry director of Google UK will make a speech and Dr Tony Sewell, founder and Director of Generating Genius, one of the Academy’s partners will speak about the importance of the STEM subjects.
Mr O’Shea said: “I have seen first-hand how STEM subjects can engage and excite young people.
“What’s more, these subjects now offer amongst the very best employment opportunities for students.
- 1 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 2 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 3 Girl reported missing from Hackney found
- 4 'Deeply shocked and troubled': Reports of rising anti-Semitic crime
- 5 Drug dealer jailed after being caught with cannabis and cash
- 6 Dumpling Shack announces plans for Hackney restaurant
- 7 ‘The people of Edmonton will stop this incinerator’ - Protestors promise more action if plan is signed off
- 8 Covid patient numbers remain steady at Homerton Hospital
- 9 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 10 De Beauvoir mother and son campaign to keep the 21 bus route
“Tech City already represents one of the fastest growing and burgeoning areas of London and I’m confident that our students will thrive from being at the heart of it.”
To attend the open day register at http://stemacademy.org.uk or call 020 8603 7221.