Hackney college named Provider of the Year in TES awards
Hackney’s sixth form college has been awarded the biggest accolade a college can achieve for turning around its fortunes within just five years to become a “phenomenal” educational establishment.
BSix Brooke House in Kenninghall Road, Upper Clapton, was named Provider of the Year at the Times Education Supplement (TES) Star Awards on Friday night.
“The college is just phenomenal,” said the judges.
“Back in 2006 it just wasn’t getting enough people applying and it had a poor reputation among local people. It was in danger of closure or merger.
“Now it is over subscribed, there is a fantastic number of people who want to go there, it has been a sustained year on year improvement from deficit to surplus, and the staff are outstanding, they really go the extra mile.
You may also want to watch:
“All of this has been achieved in a borough where there are lots of academies and enormous competition,” they added.
College Principal Ken Warman, was lost for words on accepting the honour: “It is difficult to explain how much this means to us.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
“It is the biggest tribute to the dedication and skill of our students and staff we could receive,” he said.
The college also scooped another of the 13 awards up for grabs, with the Outstanding Marketing/Communications Team.
Gavin Davies of the BBC’s Radio 4 and Dragon’s Den presented the awards at the packed ceremony in the City of London.