Hackney college named Provider of the Year in TES awards
Hackney’s sixth form college has been awarded the biggest accolade a college can achieve for turning around its fortunes within just five years to become a “phenomenal” educational establishment.
BSix Brooke House in Kenninghall Road, Upper Clapton, was named Provider of the Year at the Times Education Supplement (TES) Star Awards on Friday night.
“The college is just phenomenal,” said the judges.
“Back in 2006 it just wasn’t getting enough people applying and it had a poor reputation among local people. It was in danger of closure or merger.
“Now it is over subscribed, there is a fantastic number of people who want to go there, it has been a sustained year on year improvement from deficit to surplus, and the staff are outstanding, they really go the extra mile.
You may also want to watch:
“All of this has been achieved in a borough where there are lots of academies and enormous competition,” they added.
College Principal Ken Warman, was lost for words on accepting the honour: “It is difficult to explain how much this means to us.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 8 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
“It is the biggest tribute to the dedication and skill of our students and staff we could receive,” he said.
The college also scooped another of the 13 awards up for grabs, with the Outstanding Marketing/Communications Team.
Gavin Davies of the BBC’s Radio 4 and Dragon’s Den presented the awards at the packed ceremony in the City of London.