Hackney New School drum teacher makes Glastonbury debut
- Credit: pat venditti
A drum teacher made his Glastonbury debut at the festival on Sunday – much to the delight of his pupils at Hackney New School.
Todd Speakman played drums with a silver mask covering his face alongside his brother Guy on keyboards in their band Speakman Sound. The pair played the BBC Music Introducing stage marquee.
It claims to showcase the UK’s finest under-the-radar musicians and “soon-to-be-superstar” bands.
Todd told the Gazette afterwards it had been amazing to make it there.
“It’s been my lifelong dream, having grown up in Glastonbury and coming to the festival since I was two years old,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
His ambition is to make it to the pyramid stage next – where Radiohead, the Foo Fighters and Ed Sheeran were headlining.
The “Introducing” stage also hosts some special surprise slots – like punk band The Slaves, who came on straight afterwards.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 9 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney