Hackney New School pupil wins £44,000 sixth form scholarship
- Credit: HNS
A teenager from Hackney New School has won a £44,000 scholarship to study in the sixth form of a top independent school.
Nicole Monteiro- Ariza, 15, from the school in Kingsland Road, Haggerston, will join fee-paying Highgate School to study A-Levels in maths, further maths, classic civilisations and politics in September.
She was aided by Hackney New School's scholarship programme, which pairs pupils with teacher mentors who help them apply for sixth form places at top private schools.
This includes how to write personal statements, entrance exams and interview technique. They also pay the application fees.
Nicole said: "I had this perception that the students would all be dressed in suits and be really posh and but actually they were very similar to students at my school.
You may also want to watch:
"They all said they loved grime music and they same sort of things we do in Hackney. Everyone was really welcoming. It was really amazing."
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 8 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 9 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack