Hackney New School pupil wins £44,000 sixth form scholarship
- Credit: HNS
A teenager from Hackney New School has won a £44,000 scholarship to study in the sixth form of a top independent school.
Nicole Monteiro- Ariza, 15, from the school in Kingsland Road, Haggerston, will join fee-paying Highgate School to study A-Levels in maths, further maths, classic civilisations and politics in September.
She was aided by Hackney New School's scholarship programme, which pairs pupils with teacher mentors who help them apply for sixth form places at top private schools.
This includes how to write personal statements, entrance exams and interview technique. They also pay the application fees.
Nicole said: "I had this perception that the students would all be dressed in suits and be really posh and but actually they were very similar to students at my school.
You may also want to watch:
"They all said they loved grime music and they same sort of things we do in Hackney. Everyone was really welcoming. It was really amazing."
- 1 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 2 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 5 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 6 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 9 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 10 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket