Hackney New School pupil wins £44,000 sixth form scholarship
- Credit: HNS
A teenager from Hackney New School has won a £44,000 scholarship to study in the sixth form of a top independent school.
Nicole Monteiro- Ariza, 15, from the school in Kingsland Road, Haggerston, will join fee-paying Highgate School to study A-Levels in maths, further maths, classic civilisations and politics in September.
She was aided by Hackney New School's scholarship programme, which pairs pupils with teacher mentors who help them apply for sixth form places at top private schools.
This includes how to write personal statements, entrance exams and interview technique. They also pay the application fees.
Nicole said: "I had this perception that the students would all be dressed in suits and be really posh and but actually they were very similar to students at my school.
You may also want to watch:
"They all said they loved grime music and they same sort of things we do in Hackney. Everyone was really welcoming. It was really amazing."
- 1 Dalston shooting victim named by police
- 2 Man dies after reports of shooting in Dalston
- 3 Boat party organiser pleads guilty to breaking Covid rules during lockdown
- 4 'The pressure is intense': Hoxton vegan chef competes in Great British Menu
- 5 Election 2021: Hackney by-election results revealed
- 6 Hackney designer's 'dreams come true' with Billie Eilish Vogue shoot
- 7 All Points East: Meet east London artist Olivia Dean
- 8 Trial halted after Extinction Rebellion protester glues himself to the dock
- 9 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 10 Hackney New School to complain to Ofcom over damning ITV report