Hackney’s sporting high achievers celebrated in Empire presentation
Hackney’s high achieving sporting youngsters were praised at the borough’s sixth annual award Sports Awards ceremony in the Hackney Empire.
Individuals and teams who have participated at local, county or national level were presented awards by former British high jumper Dalton Grant, along with others for volunteering, services to sport, inclusion and coach of the year.
Winners included female weightlifter Kim Pham who scooped the under-21 Sports Person of the Year award and Shauna St Phillip, who was praised for her Outstanding Contribution to the London Youth Games where despite her disability she participated in four teams across two sports.
All 131 winners were told at the November 2 celebration they would receive a ticket for next year’s Olympic Games.
Hackney Council came under fire for not getting its priorities straight this month after deciding to buy another hundred Olympic tickets, despite approving �47 million budget cuts this year.
You may also want to watch:
They have now spent �46,000 on 300 of the sought-after seats, although they have promised none will go to elected officials.
- 1 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 2 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 3 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 4 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 5 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 6 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 7 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 8 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 9 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 10 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week