Hackney’s sporting high achievers celebrated in Empire presentation
Hackney’s high achieving sporting youngsters were praised at the borough’s sixth annual award Sports Awards ceremony in the Hackney Empire.
Individuals and teams who have participated at local, county or national level were presented awards by former British high jumper Dalton Grant, along with others for volunteering, services to sport, inclusion and coach of the year.
Winners included female weightlifter Kim Pham who scooped the under-21 Sports Person of the Year award and Shauna St Phillip, who was praised for her Outstanding Contribution to the London Youth Games where despite her disability she participated in four teams across two sports.
All 131 winners were told at the November 2 celebration they would receive a ticket for next year’s Olympic Games.
Hackney Council came under fire for not getting its priorities straight this month after deciding to buy another hundred Olympic tickets, despite approving �47 million budget cuts this year.
You may also want to watch:
They have now spent �46,000 on 300 of the sought-after seats, although they have promised none will go to elected officials.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 10 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers