Hackney’s sporting high achievers celebrated in Empire presentation
Hackney’s high achieving sporting youngsters were praised at the borough’s sixth annual award Sports Awards ceremony in the Hackney Empire.
Individuals and teams who have participated at local, county or national level were presented awards by former British high jumper Dalton Grant, along with others for volunteering, services to sport, inclusion and coach of the year.
Winners included female weightlifter Kim Pham who scooped the under-21 Sports Person of the Year award and Shauna St Phillip, who was praised for her Outstanding Contribution to the London Youth Games where despite her disability she participated in four teams across two sports.
All 131 winners were told at the November 2 celebration they would receive a ticket for next year’s Olympic Games.
Hackney Council came under fire for not getting its priorities straight this month after deciding to buy another hundred Olympic tickets, despite approving �47 million budget cuts this year.
You may also want to watch:
They have now spent �46,000 on 300 of the sought-after seats, although they have promised none will go to elected officials.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school