Hackney schools expel EIGHT children 11 and under
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Eight primary school children were thrown out of Hackney schools last year, a new league table of shame has revealed.
Most were thrown out for persistent disruptive behaviour, according to figures released on Thursday by the Department for Education (DfE) – but Hackney Council said it would be “inappropriate” to reveal why exactly children aged 11 and younger were permanently excluded.
The figure was the highest recorded by any other London borough, many of which recorded no permanent exclusions at primary schools.
The report also showed that more Hackney pupils were suspended than anywhere else in central London during the 2014/2015 academic year.
A total of 1,720 fixed-term exclusions were handed to Hackney pupils at primary and secondary schools last year, placing it in the bottom five for the whole capital.
You may also want to watch:
A council spokeswoman said it had put in a place a “No Need to Exclude” strategy to slash the number of exclusions.
She said: “Whilst we acknowledge exclusion levels remain high in the borough, our vision is for all children and young people in Hackney to be purposefully engaged in an educational programme appropriate to their needs and age.”
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 9 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition